Hike in Performance! Team Member Wellness Program
Break the traditional “Employee Wellness Program” mold!
As a Hiking/Active Lifestyle Coach and outdoors advocate, I work with organizations to create hiking based Corporate Wellness Programs. Hiking on a regular basis creates happy and healthy employees and overall increased workplace performance.
My Corporate Wellness Program- Hike in Performance!, includes planning the hikes in beautiful and scenic places, guiding the hikes and providing outdoor skills related presentations. The results are incredible; participants are more focused, calm, and creative; and all while having fun being outdoors!
We are so fortunate in Phoenix to have some of the most top notch trails at our footsteps. Phoenix was voted one of the best hiking cities in the world by National Geographic. With over 40,000 acres of desert and mountains, there are trails for every level.
The guided hikes are for:
- People who want to get fit and have fun.
- People who love to exercise in the outdoors.
- People who love the camaraderie of hiking with others.
- People who want to learn about hiking.
- People who hike already and want to challenge themselves.
The hikes are done between 2-2.5 miles an hour (a comfortable walking pace). We hike together as a group at all times. It’s not a race.
Generally the curriculum that works best is:
- A (6-8 week) plan of hikes to achieve a goal such as climbing the highest point in the area.
- Guided hikes for the plan (which can happen before or after work, or on weekends. In some instances, workplaces provide time for the hike during work hours for an incentive).
- Tips on hiking, gear selection, and outdoor skills.
- A strategic and long-term approach to conquering bigger challenges.
Tailored Hiking Services and outdoors education including:
- Peak Performance Presentation: (Why you should Incorporate Outdoor Recreation into the Workplace to Create a Culture of Health Conscious and High Performing Team Members)
- 1:1 Guided Hikes and/or Coaching
- How to Make Time for Hiking and/or the Outdoor Lifestyle (A life changing time transformation presentation)
- Introduction To Hiking (for beginners)
- One time Team Building Hike
- Coaching/guidance on how to organizational a Hiking Club
I work with you to customize an outdoors-based wellness program that works for your organization. Please Contact me to discuss your specific needs.
The Benefits Of Hiking & Corporate Wellness
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that $3 of every $4 dollars employers spend on health costs are used to treat chronic conditions such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes, asthma, and depression. A Gallup study suggests that these same conditions create workforce absenteeism costs amounting to $153 billion of lost productivity for U.S. businesses each year. Many of these same conditions are preventable as they are driven by behaviors such as:
Poor nutrition – Coronary heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and obesity are conditions most commonly attributed to poor dietary patterns. A SHRM study estimates that 76% of U.S. workers consume insufficient levels of fruits and vegetables, 63% are overweight or obese, and 38% have high cholesterol levels. The study also approximates that these behaviors cost $650 – $1400 in excess annual medical costs for high-risk adults.
Smoking – The United Health Foundation estimates that 1 in 5 Americans smoke despite the fact that smoking is the most preventable cause of death in the United States. The CDC estimates smoking amounts to $96 billion in health costs each year while the Wellness Councils of America (WELCOA) assigns $40 of additional health costs to every pack of cigarettes tobacco users smoke.
Physical inactivity – WELCOA estimates that 70-80% of the U.S. population are physically inactive, or achieve less than 30 minutes of moderately intensive daily exercise. Furthermore, 15% of health claims are attributed to sedentary lifestyles. SHRM approximates over $900 in excess annual medical costs for physically inactive adults. Together these risk factors make up 75% of the health costs.
In one study, researchers found improvement in the mental wellness of 752 employees in the US and UK who started walking 10,000 steps per day. These included higher levels of concentration, self esteem, confidence and a reduction in stress. This enhanced sense of well-being leads to increases in performance and productivity.
My hiking-based corporate wellness program combines the benefits of exercise with the benefits of being immersed in nature. Each session empowers participants to feel comfortable in the outdoors, which transfers to the workplace and their lives.